分享

God's Mechanics : How Scientists and Engineers Make Sense of Religion()|报价¥179.40|图书,进口原版,Others 其他,Guy Consolmagno

王朝王朝水庫·作者佚名  2008-05-23
窄屏简体版  字體: |||超大  

点此购买报价¥179.40
目录:图书,进口原版,Others 其他,

品牌:Guy Consolmagno

基本信息

·出版社:Jossey-Bass

·页码:256 页码

·出版日:2007年

·ISBN:0787994669

·条码:9780787994662

·装帧:精装

内容简介

在线阅读本书

InGod’s Mechanics,

Brother Guy tells the stories of those who identify with the scientific mindset—so-called “techies”—while practicing religion. A full fledged techie himself, he relates some classic philosophical reflections, his interviews with dozens of fellow techies, and his own personal take on his Catholic beliefs to provide, like a set of “worked out sample problems,” the hard data on the challenges and joys of embracing a life of faith as a techie. And he also gives a roadmap of the traps that can befall an unwary techie believer.  With lively prose and wry humor, Brother Guy shows how he not only believes in God but gives religion an honored place alongside science in his life. This book offers an engaging look at how—and why—scientists and those with technological leanings can hold profound, “unprovable” religious beliefs while working in highly empirical fields. Through his own experience and interviews with other scientists and engineers who profess faith, Brother Guy explores how religious beliefs and practices make sense to those who are deeply rooted in the world of technology.  

作者简介

Vatican astronomer Guy Consolmagno is a Jesuit brotherwith advanced degrees from MIT and the University of Arizona.A highly respected planetary scientist whose research focuses on meteorites, asteroids, and dwarf planets, Consolmagno is the author or co-author of numerous books and publications, including Brother Astronomerand Turn Left at Orion.He even has an asteroid named in his honor (4597 Consolmagno, known to its friends as "Little Guy"). He has served as chair of the Division for Planetary Sciences of the American Astronomical Society and is a past president of Commission 16 (Planets and Moons) of the International Astronomical Union.

编辑推荐

From Publishers Weekly

Starred Review.Sidestepping the acrimony of recent science vs. religion debates, Consolmagno, a Vatican astronomer and self-described "techie," intends that "demonstrating the existence of a lot of people like me, who flourish as scientists while practicing a religion, should be proof enough that science and religion can be perfectly compatible." Combining personal memoir with conversations within the techie world, Consolmagno describes questions about the universe and the meaning of life that attract techies into religious belief and practice, concluding that "techies are not looking for proof. They’re looking for confidence." When he tests his initial hypotheses with a survey project, Consolmagno finds that for many religiously-involved techie types, the value of community and moral support may actually be more important than the search for religious answers. As one atheist interviewee puts it, "You think you are selling truth, but your audience has already brought their own truth with them to church. All you are selling them is tech support." Is this all there is to religion? Certainly not for Brother Guy, who defends a specifically Christian and Catholic version of religious truth. Yet Consolmagno’s adroit and self-effacing style defuses any suggestion of theological point-scoring, as in his dryly Dilbertian defense of papal infallibility: "Unlike some of the other bosses I’ve worked for in my life, this one admits that he’s only infallible under certain extremely limited conditions."

Review

“Brother Guy Consolmagno speaks in the softest, sanest voice imaginable as he enters the current firestorm of opinion re science and religion. His engaging commentary exposes the mindset of a true ‘techie’--but one who equates science with a sacred act.”--Dava Sobel, author,Galileo’s Daughter “A prominent Vatican astronomer takes up the problem of presenting the Christian faith to his fellow ‘techies.’ After analyzing their scientific modes of thinking, Consolmagno proposes ways of speaking to their mentality. His fresh approach opens up new paths for evangelization and dialogue.”--Avery Cardinal Dulles, S.J., Laurence J. McGinley Professor of Religion and Society, Fordham University “My grasp of technology doesn’t much go beyond the chipmunks on treadmills that generate the electrical power for my computer. Put those chipmunks inside my brain, and you’ve got an idea how much I understand about religion. Which is why I found [this] book so amazing. Brother Guy has a knack for taking extremely complex concepts and explaining them in ways even a technological and religious rustic like me can understand. He’s smart, patient, through, and very funny. I only wish Brother Guy had been my science professor and my Sunday school teacher. I’d have a lot fewer chipmunks running around in my office and in my head.”--Gary K. Wolf, creator of Roger Rabbit “Brother Guy Consolmagno’s book explores the origins and nature of religion in novel and interesting ways, especially for a Catholic writer.  His insights and thought processes honestly accept and answer many religious questions relating to scientists, engineers, and contemporary society as a whole.  He is deeply candid, sharing his own faith and revealing his true love for the Catholic Church.”--Archbishop John J. Myers, Newark, New Jersey “Brother Guy is someone whose faith is mysterious to me. I'm an atheist, I think that God is a mental state we achieve by tickling our brains, not a creator who intervenes in the universe. Brother Guy's book is an important step in bridging the gap between we the irreligious and anti-religious tech-world and the faithful among the geeks.”--Cory Doctorow, author.Overclocked: Stories of the Future Presentand coeditor ofBoing Boing(boingboing.net) 

点此购买报价¥179.40

免责声明:本文为网络用户发布,其观点仅代表作者个人观点,与本站无关,本站仅提供信息存储服务。文中陈述内容未经本站证实,其真实性、完整性、及时性本站不作任何保证或承诺,请读者仅作参考,并请自行核实相关内容。
2023年上半年GDP全球前十五强
 百态   2023-10-24
美众议院议长启动对拜登的弹劾调查
 百态   2023-09-13
上海、济南、武汉等多地出现不明坠落物
 探索   2023-09-06
印度或要将国名改为“巴拉特”
 百态   2023-09-06
男子为女友送行,买票不登机被捕
 百态   2023-08-20
手机地震预警功能怎么开?
 干货   2023-08-06