DATE APPROVED: 6/24/02

DOCUMENT ID: 01406

SYNOPSIS: Maximum number of open files

PLATFORM: All

OS VERSION: Solaris 5.x OE

TECH AREA: OS

PRODUCT: Kernel

KEYWORDS: open(2), fopen(3C), cc, rlim_fd_cur, rlim_fd_max, Sys calls

The following TechNotes may contain actual software programs in source code form. This source code is made available for developers to use as needed, pursuant to the terms and conditions of this license.

DESCRIPTION:

The maximum number of open files a process can have is limited by various factors. Many parameters can be adjusted. Also, the Solaris 9 OE greatly increases the absolute maximum number of files.

SOLUTION:

Most programs do not work near the limits of open files but when a limit is reached, it can be a confusing situation. The most common applications with large numbers of open files are network servers which are connected to large numbers of clients at the same time. This TechNote should help developers understand file limits and how to adjust them properly.

There are system limits on the number of files a process can keep open at any given time. The limit varies by user environment settings, the release of the Solaris OE in use, and the current kernel configuration. The kernel variable rlim_fd_max is an absolute limit which is set in the kernel. The kernel variable rlim_fd_cur sets the default process soft limit. The shell inherits the default limits which can be retrieved and modified by the ulimit command. The remainder of this TechNote examines the different limitations and how to adjust them.

open() and fopen() limitations

There are a number of ways for a programmer to open files from C code. Two of the common methods are the system call open(2) and the stdio library call fopen(3C). Each of these calls is limited to the number of opens they can perform, but fopen(3C) has a harsh stdio library limit.

Both open(2) and fopen(3C) use file descriptors which are taken from the total number of file descriptors allowed by the environment. If a program uses open(2) exclusively, then the program will be able to open as many files as the current soft limit allows. The soft limit defines how many files a process can open. There are actually two environmental limits. The soft limit and the hard limit. The soft limit is the number of files a process can open by default. The hard limit is the maximum number of files a process can open if it increases the soft limit (example following).

fopen(3C) has another type of limitation. The file descriptor number used by the stream is limited. File descriptors are allocated by the system starting at 0, and are then allocated in numerical order. Descriptors 0, 1, and 2 are opened for every process as stdin, stdout and stderr at startup. One file descriptor is allocated per open(2) or fopen(3C). However, fopen(3C) actually returns a file stream pointer which is used with fread(3C), fwrite(3C), fputs(3C), etc. The number of file streams returned by fopen(3C) is subject to a limit. The number of the file descriptor used by the fopen(3C) must be less than 256. That limit creates a couple issues. After the first 256 file descriptors are used, open(2) will continue to succeed up to the soft file open limit, but fopen(3C) will fail. In addition, if any of the file descriptors under 256 have been allocated by open(2), those file descriptors cannot be used by fopen(3C). So, if a program is going to use a large number of file streams, the fopen(3C) descriptors should be opened first. Basically, open(2) will work with any file descriptor up to the soft limit while fopen(3C) will only work with file descriptors under 256.

Following is a small program which tests the limits on a user.

#include <stdio.h>

#include <sys/types.h>

#include <sys/stat.h>

#include <fcntl.h>

#include <errno.h>

#define MAXOPEN 100000

#define MAXFOPEN 100000

main()

{

FILE *fps[MAXFOPEN];

int fds[MAXOPEN];

char fname[256];

int i, j;

/*

* Test total number of fopen()'s which can be completed

*/

for (i = 0; i < MAXFOPEN; i++) {

sprintf(fname, "fopen_%05d", i);

if ((fps[i] = fopen(fname, "w+")) == NULL) {

perror("fopen fails");

break;

}

}

printf("fopen() completes: %d\n", i);

/*

* Close the file descriptors

*/

for (j =0; j < i; j++) {

if (fclose(fps[j]) == EOF) {

perror("fclose fails");

exit(1);

}

}

for (i = 0; i < MAXOPEN; i++) {

sprintf(fname, "open_%05d", i);

if ((fds[i] = open(fname, O_CREAT | O_RDWR, 0644)) == -1) {

perror("open fails");

break;

}

}

printf("open() completes: %d\n", i);

}

A sample compilation and run will be shown in the Process Environment Limitations section.

Note that 64-bit binaries are not subject to the fopen(3C) limitation. However, 64-bit binaries are subject to the file open hard limit.

Process Environment Limitations

The process environment limit is one which can be easily adjusted by the user with the ulimit command. Following is sample output of the ulimit command, along with the test program which uses the open() and fopen() calls. This example is run under the Korn shell (/bin/ksh). Other shells may use different ulimit syntax.

$ cc filetest.c -o filetest

$ ulimit -a

time(seconds) unlimited

file(blocks) unlimited

data(kbytes) unlimited

stack(kbytes) 8192

coredump(blocks) unlimited

nofiles(descriptors) 256

memory(kbytes) unlimited

$ filetest

fopen fails: Too many open files

fopen() completes: 253

open fails: Too many open files

open() completes: 253

$ ulimit -n 512

$ ulimit -a

time(seconds) unlimited

file(blocks) unlimited

data(kbytes) unlimited

stack(kbytes) 8192

coredump(blocks) unlimited

nofiles(descriptors) 512

memory(kbytes) unlimited

$ filetest

fopen fails: Too many open files

fopen() completes: 253

open fails: Too many open files

open() completes: 509

This is an example of raising the file limit from the process maximum of 256 up to 512 by using the ulimit -n command. The "filetest" program attempts to open(2) and fopen(3C) as many files as possible, and to print results on failure. Note that the program fails at the limit minus three. As mentioned earlier, the three other descriptors are the standard stdin, stdout and sdterr. Those descriptors are open for every process; they can be closed if the program does not need their functionality.

This example shows the soft limit being decreased from 512 to 256. The default soft and hard limits can be found by using the sysdef command and looking at the "Process Resource Limit Tunables" section of the output.

Kernel Limitations

The ulimit maximum (hard limit) is based on a kernel parameter. The kernel variable which controls the limit can be set in /etc/system. The variable name is rlim_fd_max. The value can be changed by adding the following line to /etc/system.

set rlim_fd_max=2048

This will set the maximum number of file descriptors (hard limit) per process up to 2048. Different versions of the Solaris OE have different limits. The following table summarizes the changes.

Default Solaris file limitations Solaris Release Default soft file limit Default hard file limit

Solaris 7 64 1024

Solaris 8 256 1024

Solaris 9 256 65536

The default settings listed above mean that the ulimit command will not be able to go above that level in a newly-installed system. When the rlim_fd_max variable is set, users will be able to go up to the maximum specified value.

If a program cannot rely on the ulimit value being set properly, code can be written which will check the hard and soft limits currently set on file descriptors. The program can then ask the user to take proper actions. Following is an example program which uses getrlimit(2) to request the current values.

#include <stdio.h>

#include <sys/resource.h>

main()

{

struct rlimit rlimit;

if (getrlimit(RLIMIT_NOFILE, &rlimit) == -1) {

perror("getrlimit fails");

exit(1);

}

printf("File soft limit: %d\n", rlimit.rlim_cur);

printf("File hard limit: %d\n", rlimit.rlim_max);

}

Here is a sample run of this program:

$ cc getlimit.c -o getlimit

$ ulimit -n

$ getlimit

File soft limit: 512

File hard limit: 512

$ ulimit -n 256

$ getlimit

File soft limit: 256

File hard limit: 256

$

The number we are most interested in is the hard limit. This is the limit placed on the process by the environment. The soft limit can be raised or lowered by the process by using setrlimit(2), but the hard limits cannot be exceeded without root permissions. One point to notice in the preceding output is that the shell used for the example (ksh) adjusts both the hard and soft limits; this is the reason for the change of both values. That behavior can be modified with flags.

To summarize, the number of files a user process can open is limited in three ways. The ultimate limit is set by the kernel variable fd_rlim_max. That value is inherited by every user process and cannot be exceeded. The second

[1] [2] 下一页

免责声明:本文为网络用户发布,其观点仅代表作者个人观点,与本站无关,本站仅提供信息存储服务。文中陈述内容未经本站证实,其真实性、完整性、及时性本站不作任何保证或承诺,请读者仅作参考,并请自行核实相关内容。
2023年上半年GDP全球前十五强
 百态   2023-10-24
美众议院议长启动对拜登的弹劾调查
 百态   2023-09-13
上海、济南、武汉等多地出现不明坠落物
 探索   2023-09-06
印度或要将国名改为“巴拉特”
 百态   2023-09-06
男子为女友送行,买票不登机被捕
 百态   2023-08-20
手机地震预警功能怎么开?
 干货   2023-08-06