LESSON 4
Translate the following sentence into English.
1. use the verb + noun or adj. + noun collocation.
未中目标 to miss the target 命中目标 to hit the target 闭上眼睛 to close one''s eyes 辞职不干 to quit one''s job 抬起头来 to hold up one''s head 提高嗓门 to raise one''s voice 瞄准某人 to shoot at somebody 低下头去 to bend one''s head
松懈劲头 to relax one''s efforts 留下痕迹 to leave marks
沙哑的声音 hoarse voice 朝……开火 to fire…at
2. use the “useful expressions”。
1) 听到我所在的公司要被一家石油公司兼并的消息,我十分震惊。
Hearing that the firm I work for was going to be taken over by an oil company, I was greatly shocked.
2)矿工们被困在坍塌的坑道里一个多星期才得到营救。
The minters had been trapped in the collapsed gallery for over one week before they picked up.
3)女还眼巴巴地盼望父亲带她去旅行,那时他答应过的。
The girl was eagerly looking forward to having her father take her on the trip which he had promised her.
4)看见卡车朝他冲过来,他本能地迅速闪开了。
Seeing the truck dashing towards him, he jumped aside rapidly on instinct.
5)为了躲开高峰期,苏珊只得每天早上8点赶公共汽车。
To avoid the rush hour, Susan has to run for the 8 o''clock bus in the morning.
6)在增援部队到达之前,战士们抵御敌人一个星期的进攻。
The soldiers had been holding out against the enemy''s attacks for a week before the reinforcements arrived.
7)二十多年来,史密斯先生一直领导着那个极为成功的企业。
For more than two decades, Mr. Smith has been in command of that very successful enterprise.
8)母亲从不屈服于在我成长过程中遇到的困难。
Mother has never given in to the difficulties encountered in the course of my growing up.
9)这个国家可不能再陷入内战了,人民渴望持久的和平。
This country can not afford to have another civil war. Its people long for lasting peace.
10)他真诚的自我批评使我们更加尊重他。
His sincere self-criticism made us respect him all the more.
3. use keep ,look and stop.
1)我们该停下来想一想:为什么年轻人崇拜歌星和足球明星?
It''s time we stopped to do some thinking: why do young people worship singing stars and football stars?
2)他抬起头来,碰巧看到一个人把手伸进一位乘客的裤兜。
He looked up and happened to see a person putting his hand into another passenger''s trouser pocket.
3)很抱歉,让大家久等了。
I''m sorry for keeping you waiting for so long.
4)没有任何力量能够阻止中国人民统一自己的国家。
No force can keep the Chinese people back from reuniting their own country.
5)有人一直盯着我,你认为我能全神贯注地工作么?
Someone keeps staring at me. Do you think I can concentrate on my work?
6)记者们把他们的相机时刻准备好,等待戴安那王妃出现。
The journalists keep their cameras ready at all times, waiting for Princess Diana to show up.
7)你要是不断地来,不断地投诉,他们没准会认真对待这个问题。
If you keep coming and keep complaining, perhaps they will take this issue seriously.
8)要是我们都躲着不理这些“坏孩子”,他们怎么能改进?
If we all keep away from these “bad children” , how can they get improved?
9)她两天以后再次见到部长时,他的样子就好象他从来也没见过她似的。
When she saw the minister again two days later, he looked as if he had never seen her before.
10)以前教过的一个学生来向教授求援时,他看起来很高兴。
When one of his former students came to ask him for help, the professor looked very happy.
Translate the following sentence into English, using tag questions.
1、没什么东西能阻挡我们,对吧?
Nothing can hold us back, can they?
2、我比你年龄大,对吧?
I''m older than you ,aren''t I?
3、我想你知道发生了什么事,是吧?
I think you know what has happened, don''t you?
4、别忘了给我打电话,好吗?
Don''t forget to phone me, would you?
5、你不介意我用一下你的字典,是吧?
You don''t mind if I borrow your dictionary, do you?
6、你的书还没还,是吧?
You didn''t return the book, did you?
7、冬天这里很少下雨,是吧?
It seldom rains in winter, does it?
8、我们自己动手,好吗?
Let''s do it ourselves, shall we?
9、他说他会来的,是吧?
He said he would come, didn''t he?
10、你认为他通过考试没问题,是不是?
You think that he will sure pass the examination, don''t you?