LESSON 5
损伤关系 to impair the relationship between… 减缓痛苦 to reduce pain 减轻负疚(感) bo lessen one''s guilt 施加压力 to put pressure 作出贡献 to make one''s contribution 重新做人 to turn over a new leaf 作出决定 to make decisions 拒绝要求 to refuse one''s request 发现原因 to find reasons 兼职工作 part-time job 全职工作 full-time job 周围世界 surrounding world 世纪之交 the torn or the century 成就感 a sense of achievement 责任感 a sense of responsibility 幽默感 a sense of homour
use the “useful expressions”
1.随着劳动市场的竞争日趋激烈,许多人不再把他们的工作看成是理所当然的了。
With the labor market being increasingly competitive, many people do not take their present jobs for granted.
2.保尔有四口之家要养活,他很清楚他必须尽最大的努力保住他的职位。
Paul has a family of four people to support, so he knows clearly that he has to try his best to hold down his job.
3.经过一场旷日持久的、残酷的部落战争,本地区的百姓都渴望和平与安全。
After the brutal long-drawn-out tribal war, the common people living in the area are all yearning for peace and security.
4.母亲顶住来自医生和亲戚的巨大压力,坚持教我读书写字。
Standing up to the great pressure from the doctor and relatives, my mother insisted on teaching me reading and writing.
5.由于双方拒不妥协,仗一直打了十几年。
Since neither side gave in to the other, the war had been going on for more than a decade.
6.只要你坚持写下去,你最终一定会成功。
As long as you keep at it, finally you will sure be successful in writing.
7.假如你相信钱能为你的生活解除万难,你一定会大失所望。
If you believe in that money can help you clear away all the difficulties in your life, you are bound to be greatly disappointed.
8.出版这本书可能会给出版社的声誉带来损害。
If the book is published,it would be harmful to the fame of the publishing house.
9.对书法如此无知,我十分惭愧。
I felt very guilty about my such ignorance of the Chinese calligraphy.
10.别人说你一生将好运不断时,你可别当真。
When others say that you will be constantly showered with good fortunes, don''t take it seriously.
Use give, feel, begin, and expect.
1.我们邀请李教授来给我们上音乐课。
We invited professor Li to give us music lessons.
2.音乐会7点开始,我们最好快点。
The concert begins at 7 o''clock. We''d better hurry up.
3.蜡烛灭了,那人在衣兜里摸索着想找根火柴。
The candle went out, and the man felt in his pocket to search for a match.
4.他们都期盼系主任在中秋节举办一个晚会。
They all expect the dean to hold a party on the occasion of the Moon Festival.
5.孩子总是盼望家长对他们要什么给什么。
Children always expect parents to give them whatever they want.
6.我感到要求一个3随的孩子背熟这首长诗是不合理的。
I feel that it is not reasonable to require a three-years-old child to learn such a long poem by heart.
7.会见这些精力旺盛的年轻人给那位老人很大的乐趣。
Meeting these energetic young people five this old man great joy.
8.她觉得有人在跟踪她,开始担心起来。
When she felt someone following her, she began to worry.
9.老板解雇她的时候,她没有感到惊讶,因为她从为指望他会发善心。
She was not surprised when her boss dismissed her, for she never expected her boss to be kind to her.
10.你预料我会感激你的所谓帮助,告诉你,我不领情。
You expected me to be grateful for you so-called help. Listen, I don''t appreciate your kindness at all.
11.敬请所有客人在招待会开始前半小时到场。
Dear honored guests, please arrive at the reception party half an hour before the time when the party begins.
12.你不能指望一两个星期内就能大大提高英语口语水平。
You can not expect great improvement in oral English within one or two weeks.
13.我有这么多事情要做,不知从哪件开始。
I have so many things to do that I even don''t know which one to begin with.
14.请给我一个试一试的机会。
Please give me a chance to try.
15.我们预料韩磊会在演讲比赛中得第一名。
We expected Hanlei to be the first in the speech contest.
Translate the following into English, using imperative sentences.
1.我们今天下午把教室打扫一下吧。
Let''s clean the classroom this afternoon.
2.请你告诉你妹妹晚上给我来电话。
Please tell your sister to give me a phone call this evening
3.千万不要相信那家报纸的报道。
Be sure not to believe what re reported in that local newspaper.
4.“置于儿童不能拿到之处。”
“Keep it out of the reach of children.”
5.汤里别放太多盐。
Don''t put too much salt in the soup.
6.他很忙,我们别去打扰他了。
Let''s not bother him. He is very busy.
7.别再批评他了,他对此事已经够难受的了。
Don''t criticize him any more. He has been feeling awfully bad about it.
8.请离柜台一米远。
Please stay one metre away from the counter.
9.下周五晚上你一定要来参加我的生日晚会。
Don come to my birthday party next Friday evening.
10.碰到这样的情况,你一定要冷静。
Do keep clam when you find yourself in such a situation.