分享
 
 
 

自考综合英语(二)下册详解第十六课

王朝英语沙龙·作者佚名  2007-04-21
窄屏简体版  字體: |||超大  

1. who have been married only a short time and whose careers are still in the promising stage. 俩人结婚不久,在事业上大有希望,但仍然处于发展阶段。

be in the promising stage处于发展阶段,处于有前景的阶段 Socialism is still in the promising stage.社会主义仍然处于迅速发展的阶段。

2. There is abundant luxury in the room but a minimum of taste. ——(The room is richly furnished but shows little taste.)

房间布置相当豪华,但品味很不高雅。

1)abundant luxury相当豪华,abundant丰富的,大量的

2)but a minimum of taste但品味很不高雅,but表示转折,minimum of taste缺少品味

3.He presses the buzzer on the house phone and speaks to the cook.他按了按家庭部电话的蜂音器对厨师说话。

Presses, speaks to剧本中的台词是剧本的主体,剧情的发展、人物的展现、剧本的主题思想全通过台词体现是。舞台说明用现在时态(一般现在时和现在进行时)。

4.I hardly slept a wink all night……——(I hardly had any sleep at all last night./I slept very little last night.)

not sleep a wink or not get/have a wink of sleep; not to sleep at all

Our next-door neighbours were so noisy last night that we didn''t get a wink of sleep.

昨天晚上我们隔壁的邻居特别吵闹使我们一夜没合眼。

5. There is nothing to do but face the fact that we''re not invited.——(The only thing we can do now is to accept the harsh reality-that we are not invited.)

1)there is/was nothing to do but do sth., there is/was nothing for it but to do sth.:除了……没有别的办法

Their car broke down in the wilderness. There was nothing to do but wait for help to arrive.

他们的车在荒原抛锚,除了等救援没有别的办法。

There is nothing to do but pay up immediately.

除了立即还清欠款之外别无选择。

2)face the fact that: to accept that a difficult situation exists, although it is unpleasant

You must face the fact that you have to support yourself from now on.

从现在开始你得养活自己,你要面对这个现实。我们毫无办法,只有面对没有邀请我们这个现实。

6.Oh, there''s got to be a way. There''s got to be.

there''s got to be a way:We must find a way to explain our absence.

has got to: has to

7. ……there is on reason to feel slighted. We''re both pretty new in pictures. It''s not as though ) we were oldtimers who had worked with Scotty.——(……we don''t have to feel upset that they ignore/snub us. After all, our Hollywood career is just beginning.) 我们不必感到不安,毕竟在电影界我们俩人都还是新手,对我们不可能像对和斯格蒂一起共过事的老手那样。(这里兰蒂?布鲁克斯劝妻子卡罗?梅森想开点,没有邀请他们也有一定的道理,不能指望人们对他们像对好莱坞资深演员那样。)

1)slight: to treat rudely or without proper respect; to insult冷落

She feels slighted because no one spoke to her at the party.

参加聚会的人没有一个搭理她,她觉得受了冷落。

2)it''s (not) as though / if:情况就好像(或不可能像)……一样,又如:

It''s as if I were a guest while they hosts.

事情弄得好像他们是主人我反而是客人似的。(我是主人,他们喧宾夺主。)

The manager is very disappointed with their performance. It''s not as if they were new hands.

经理对他们的表现很不满意,他们又不是新手。(如是新手尚 可原谅。)

8. We''ve been through all(链接) this before. 这些事我们已讨论过了!

We have discussed/talked about all this before;

We''ve tried to find out why some of our friends have been invited.

9.And I may never have worked with Scotty, but I did meet him once, and he danced with me at a party.

我确实从来没有和斯格蒂共过事,不过我和他有一面之交,在一次聚会上他还与我跳过舞。

1)这里may用来表示承认某件事情是事实,接着but介绍与此相左的事实或论点,又如:

He may be very tall, but not necessarily a good basketball player.他个子很高,但未必是一个好的篮球选手。

He may be a good teacher, but not necessarily a good headmaster.他是一个好老师,但未必就是一个好校长。

I may have never been without a job, but I do understand how laid-off workersfeel.

我确实是从来没有失过业,但是我能理解下岗工人们的心情。

Cooking may be boring, but it can be a delightful thing to do at times.

做饭是件乏味的事,不过有时候也可以成为一件愉快的事。

Some students may think the training a waste of time, but later they''ll find it very useful.

有一些学生认为这种训练是浪费时间,不过以后他们会发现很有用。

2)did表示强调

10. He was very nice to me, too, and said some very complimentary things. 他对我很客气,还说了些赞扬我的话。

1) be very nice to对……很客气

2)complimentary things赞扬的话

11. I met his wife, too.(An afterthought .) I didn''t much like her.我还见过他的夫人。(然后补充说)我不太喜欢她。

Afterthought事后的思考/补充

12. I can''t help wondering if there''s been an oversight of some kind.

1)……I can''t believe they''ve deliberately slighted us. There must be a mistake. They just happen to have forgotten us.

2)oversight: an unintended failure to notice or do sth.疏忽出错,忽略

Whether by oversight or intention, he will be punished for that .不管是处于疏忽还是故意,他都要受到惩罚。

13. Now, I didn''t have to say that…… if you ask me, it showed a lot of humility on my part to say a thing like that when, after all, I''ve got a career of my own to consider……

(Just a few days before he died I said, “Scotty Woodrow is still the greatest.”) Well, you know, I didn''t have to say something so complimentary. When I had such a high opinion of him, it looked as if I had a low opinion of myself; it isn''t good when I have a promising career in Hollywood……

if you ask me: in my opinion(口语)我认为,依我看(强调以下所说只是个人意见),又如:

If you ask me, they aren''t reliable partners.

我个人认为,他们不是可靠的合作者。

The book is all trash, if you ask me.

我认为这本书里说的全是陈词滥调。

14. ……try to do something, Mike.

……try to find a way to get us invited.

15. He couldn''t get us an invitation to Dineyland. 这么简单的事情他哪能办成呀。 (注意卡罗的挖苦口气。)

an invitation to Disneyland: one of the easiest things to do再简单不过的事情。

Disneyland: 迪斯尼乐园,在美国的洛杉矶近郊,是美国动画片制作家及制片人活尔特?迪斯尼(Walter Disney)创建的游乐园。其后迪斯尼公司陆续在佛罗里达州以及日本、法国等地建立同样的游乐园,下一个迪斯尼乐园将建于香港。

这里couldn''t表示“不可能”。

16. Oh yes! Half the people going, going, I bet, have never met him.是啊,我敢肯定,去的人当中有一半根本就没见过他。

going: who are going to the funeral.

I bet /I''ll bet/you can bet (that): I''m certain (that)(口语)我敢肯定,又如:

I bet she won''t take the job. The salary is far from what she expects.

我肯定她不会接受这份工作,薪水与她所期望的相距太远了。

You can bet they''ll on time.

我敢肯定他们会准时来的。

这里为了突出卡罗所肯定的具体内容,将I bet作为插入语放到句子中间。

17.Now, if we don''t get an invitation, I''ll have to lie again and say we came down with food poisoning, or something. ——(……I''ll have to tell another lie and say we can''t go because we''re suffering from food poisoning or some other illness.) 现在我们要是还收不到请贴,我还得再撒一次谎,说我们食物中毒或是得了别的什么病。

1)come down with: to get an illness that is not serious; become ill with得了……病,又如:

The whole family came down with the flu and had to stay in bed.

他们全家都患了流感,都卧床不起。

2)or something/somebody/somewhere: 用来表示不敢确定是什么、是何人或干什么的以及在何处,又如:

The title of the novel is Unforgettable Mr. Johnson or Remarkable Mr. Johnson, or something.

小说的书名是《难忘的约翰逊先生》,或者是《杰出的约翰逊先生》,还是什么的。

18. Mark played Scotty''s son in a picture once.马克曾经在一部电影里扮演斯格蒂的儿子。

play (the part of)……:扮演某一角色,又如:

Jim played (the part of) Hamlet several times.

吉姆扮演雷特有好几次了。

Little Jenny doesn''t want to play the witch; she''d like to play the fairy.

小詹妮不愿扮演巫婆,她想演仙女。

play a part/role in在……起作用

He played an important part in Beijing''s bidding for 2008 Olympic Games.他在北京申奥的工作中起了很重要的作用。

19. A long time ago, before either of us came on the scene. 很久以前,那时我们俩还没有出道。

come/appear/arrive on the scene: appear and begin to take part in an activity(口语)到场;登场;到来;出生,

The hall was full of fans before the star came on the scene. 在这个明星出场之前,大厅里挤满了他的歌迷。

The famous singing star was a restaurant waiter before he came on the scene.这个著名的歌星在出道前曾是一个餐馆服务员。

The university has changed a lot since the new president came on the scene.

自从新校长上任以来这所大学变化很大。

That happened long before you people came on the scene.

这是你们这些人出生之前很久以前发生的事

20. That means Mark''s a little older than he admits.这就是说马克的年龄比他自己说的要大。

1)Mean意味着,意思是说

You mean you don''t want to get the opportunity.你的意思是说你想放弃这次机会。

Forgetting the past means betraying.忘记过去就意味着背叛。

2)older than he admits: older than he admits he is比他自己说的要大

21. The part was very young, practically an infant.那个角色年龄很小,实际上是个婴儿。 Practically(speaking) 实际上,从实际来讲

Practically, you are fit for teaching not fit for administrating.

从实际来讲,你适合教学工作而不适合管理工作。

22. Just the same I''ll bet Mark''s thirty.再小也一样,我敢肯定马克有30岁了。(角色的年龄再小,也改变不了我的看法,我仍然认为他实际年龄大些。)

all/just the same: in spite of this仍然,依然,照样,又如:

He may have done some stupid things, but we respect him just the same.

他做过蠢事这不假,但我们照样尊敬他。

We didn''t understand the jokes, but laughed with all others all the same.

那些笑话我们根本不懂,我们还是照样和大家一起放声大笑。

23.(A little shocked.) She''s not giving a party! (感到惊讶)她不是在搞什么聚会吧! (兰蒂觉得紧接着葬礼之后,桑德拉就搞这种社交性的聚会很不妥当。)

此句是一个用陈述句的形式表达的疑问句(这里既可用惊叹号“!”,也可用问号“?”,也可用“?!”。)用来落实说话人所说的事实或情况是否嘱实,如说话人觉得会得到肯定的回答,就用肯定句,反之就用否定句,又如:

——You don''t mean you''re leaving for good?

你不是一去不复返吧?

——Of course not. I surely will return after the job is done.

当然不是,工作一完我就回来。

——You admitted having cheated in examinations?

你承认考试作弊了?

——Yes.

是的。

24. No. She just invited some friends to come in afterwards to have a few drinks and talk about what a great guy Scotty was, and everything.

不是社交聚会。她只不过邀请了几个朋友在事完之后来喝点饮料,一起聊聊斯格蒂那些了不起的事迹,还有别的什么等等。

1)have a few drinks喝点饮料/酒

2)and everything:其他等等,又如:

They talk about their work, dreams and everything.

他们俩常在一起谈论各自的工作、梦想以及其他事情。

She calls her parents every evening to see how they are and everything.

她每天晚上给父母打电话,问问他们怎么样以及其他等等

25. After all, Scotty Woodrow was practically a landmark, or something. Think of it. He''s been a star for forty years.

斯格蒂?伍德罗实际上是个里程碑式的人物。想想看,他的明星地位竟保持了40年。

1)after all:毕竟(通常用于句首,导出原因,)又如:

How can we expect Jim to do so much? After all he''s only 15.

我们怎么能要求吉姆做那么多的事?他毕竟只有15岁。

I thought you might find what''s wrong with the PC. After all you''ve worked with Legend.

我还以为你能查出这台微机的赞美,你毕竟还在联想集团干过。

2)(come to ) think of it:真的,想想看,想起来了(用来表示突然回忆起或记起一件事),又如:

Come to think of it, we haven''t seen Jack for twenty years.

真的,我们有20年没有见到杰克了。

Think of it, I''ve never been to the Great Wall even after living in Beijing

for three years.

真的,我在北京住了3年居然没有去过长城。

Come to think of it, he did say that he wasn''t coming back for supper.

想起来了,他确实说过他不回来吃晚饭了。

26. It makes me very humble to think of a guy like Scotty. 想起斯格蒂这样的人,我感到自己很渺小。

When I think of what Scotty has achieved, I feel small and inadequate.

Humble: having or showing a modest opinion of oneself; low in rank or position;谦恭的,谦逊的;微贱的,卑下的

He is very humble to his superiors.他对上级非常谦恭。

A man of humble birth出身卑贱的人,a humble occupation卑下的职业。

27. You know we could crash. 我们可以未经邀请擅自出席。

We could just go there as if we were invited.

you know口头上用来强调下面要讲的话,或引起人们对下面要讲的话的注意。

crash: = gatecrash, go to a party or other social event without being invited未经邀请擅自出席。 (在西方这是有失身份的事。)

28. Who''d know the difference? 谁会知道内情? (谁会看出我们没有被邀请?)

the difference(between being invited and not being invited)邀请的与未被邀请的有什么不同

29. How would we feel afterwards, when we had to shake hands with Mrs. Woodrow?就算我们毫不脸红地进了大门,可是之后我们不得不和伍德罗太太握手时不觉得心虚吗?

1)would此句是一修辞性疑问句,隐含一个虚拟条件句if we crashed

2)shake hands with和……握手

30. Everyone would just take it for granted we''d been invited. I mean, we''ve both just as prominent as Sandra and Don, or any of the others.

大家都会认为我们当然是应邀而来,我是说,咱们俩跟桑德拉和唐,或是任何其他人比,与他们一样出众。

1) take it for granted认为……是理所当然的

He took it for granted that his parents sent him to school他认为父母供他上学是理所当然的。

2)I mean用来引出解释上句所说内容的理由的句子,又如:

I didn''t know our meeting had been put off until next week.

I mean, nobody told me.

我不知道我们的会议已经推迟到下周,没有人告诉我呀!

I mean也可用来纠正刚说过的话,或者把已经说过的话说得更明确些。如:

The chairman is leaving for Nanning tomorrow-I mean for Nanjing. 主任明天动身去南宁,不,我是说是去南京。

The new library is to open on Tuesday-I mean next Tuesday. 新图书馆定于星期二开馆,是下星期二。

31. If you ask me,it''d be a lot better to crash than not to be seen at…… Well, you can''t call it a social affair exactly, but it''s a social event, Anyway, everyone will be there, Everyone.——( I think it would be much better to go without invitation than not to attend at all…… Scotty''s funeral service is no small social affair, but an important social event. Everyone of some importance in the film industry will be there. ) (Therefore everyone wishing to establish himself in Hollywood should be seen there.)

我认为不请自到比根本不露面要强……呃,这可不是一般的社交活动,而是重大的社交事件,重要人物都会出席,都会的。(这里卡罗直接说明了为什么他们急于出席这次葬礼的目的主要是“露面”,而不是为了对大明星的去世表示哀悼。她的话也点出了剧名所包含的内容。)

1)if you ask me: in my opinion(见第13条注释)。

注意余体词的重读,半个词斜体,就是强调只重读那一半。

2)it''d be a lot better to……not to be seen at: it would be much better to……than not to be seen at the funeral.

to crash……than not to be seen at……是主语。

32. I don''t know why the studio couldn''t have managed it for us with a little pull. ——(The studio should have managed to get us invited if they had used a little of their influence.) 我真不明白为什么电影制片厂不努点儿力把事情办妥。

pull: (informal) power and influence

33. They should realize it''s in the best interests of my career to be seen there, and my career means as much to them as it does to me.——(They should realize that my presence at such a social event will greatly enhance/promote my position in Hollywood, and my career and success are as important to them as it is to me.) 他们应该认识到在那个场合露面对我的事业非常有利,而我的事业对他们和对我一样重要。

注意此句的结构:它由两个并列子句组成,它们本身又都是复合句。第一个子句they should realize……to be seen there带有宾语从句it''s in the best interests……to be seen there,其中不定式to be seen there是主语;第二个子句中有一比较从句as it does to me修饰means as much,it代表my career,does代表means.

1)in the (best) interest(s) of:对……(极为)有利,为了…… 的最大利益,又如:

We expect you to act in the best interests of our country in the talks concerning her entry into the WTO.

我们期望你在有关我国加入WTO的谈判中为维护我国最大利益行事。

In the best interests of your children, you should keep fit.

为了孩子的最大利益,你应该保持身体健康。

2)(sth.) means a lot/much/everything/the world to sb.: sth. is very important to sb. 对……来说十分/极为重要

Her family means a lot to her.

家庭对她来说十分重要。

Does your job mean much to you?

工作对你很重要吗?

Their grandchildren mean everything to the old couple.

对这老俩口来说孙子孙女就是他们的一切。

Human resources management means a lot to a company.

对一家公司来说人力资源的管理极为重要。

34. Same here. 这话对我也适用。 (我的露面对他们和对我的事业一样有利。)

same here:(口语)这话对我也适用;我也这么认为;我也是如此,又如:

——This is my first visit to China.

这是我第一次到中国来。

——Same here.

我也是第一次。

——I think that film is awful.

我觉得那部电影糟透了。

——Same here.

我也这么认为。

——I''m very disappointed with the result of the football match.

我对这场足球赛的结果感到非常失望。

——Same here.

我也是。

35. Just a slight case so you could tell them with a straight face……——(We''ll make ourselves really ill, just slightly of course. Then we wouldn''t feel guilty when we tell them so.) 仅是轻微的食物中毒,这样你就可以理直气壮地告诉他们。(即你不是撒谎,而是真的有病。)

(keep/with) a straight face: with a serious expression; not laughing or smiling, although you find sth. funny 板着面孔,不露笑容,

How Henry managed to keep a straight face, I''ll never know.

亨利怎么能一本正经地板着面孔,我永远也不会明白。

36. There is a slight air of superiority about her now. Randy and Carole look at her with sudden surprise.( Now she gives the impression of feeling somewhat important.)她稍微流露出一种优越感,兰蒂和卡罗突然感到惊讶。

air: the particular feeling or impression that is given by印象, 感觉

There is an air of confidence about her.

她给人一种自信的印象。

There is an air of mystery about the drugstore.

这家药房给人一种神秘感。

Their bedroom has an air of luxury.

他们卧室的布置给人一种豪华的印象。

37. My mother worked for him when he was starting out in the business.他刚开始演电影时我母亲给他干活。

start out:开始从事工作,开始立业,又如:

Andrew Carnegie started out as a bobbin boy in a cotton factory.

安德鲁?卡耐基开始工作时是在一家棉纺厂当线轴工。

Mark Twain started out working on a boat sailing up and down the Mississippi.

马克?吐温开始是在航行于密西西比河的一条船上工作。

38. She has thus established herself as near-royalty to Randy and Carole.____(By revealing her close relations with the great star, she suddenly becomes important in the eyes of Randy and Carole.) (This is a humuorous and exaggerated remark.) 他的那部获奖电影确立了他导演的声誉。这样,对兰蒂和卡罗来说,她几乎成了皇室成员。

1)establish sb./sth./oneself (in sth.) (as sth.): to succeed in doing sth. and achieve respect or a secure position as a result of this

He has established himself as the leading candidate in the governor election in California.

作为候选人的他在加州州长的竞选中处于领先的地位。

His award-winning film established his reputation as a director.

2)royalty: 皇亲国戚。Near: 近亲。

39. Mrs. Woodrow''s secretary said I could bring my family, but now that Vincent has left me and taken the car, I''ll have to take a taxi.

伍德罗太太的秘书说我可以带家里的人一起来,可是这会儿文森特离开了我,车也让他带走了,我只好打车了。 (文森特可能是缪里尔的丈夫或男友,已经抛弃了她。)

1)family家里的人

2)now that既然

Now that you are here, please stay with us.既然你来了,就和我们呆在一起吧。

40. Well, I have to be getting ready now…All the big names in Hollywood will be there. I want look my best. (On this important occasion, I want to look as smart as possible.) 呃,我得去准备了……好莱坞的大人物都要去,我要昼打扮得漂亮点。

1)have to be getting ready是现在进行时,表示马上就要做某事,又如:

It''s getting late. I must be going now.

不早了,我该走了。

2)big names: famous people名人。

3)Look one''s/its best: to look as beautiful, attractive, etc., as possible

The scenery looks its best in autumn; look as smart, attractive, beautiful, healthy, tidy, etc. as possible尽量显得漂亮、健康、整洁等,又如:

这里的景致秋天最棒。

The children look their best on the traditional festival.

在那个传统的节日里,孩子们各个精神极了。

The park looks its best in autumn when the leaves turn red, yellow and brown.

秋天树叶变成红色、黄色和褐色,那时这个公园最美。

41. Uh…Muriel, you don''t want to go to the services all alone! 呃,缪里尔你不愿意自己一个人去参加葬礼吧?

这也是一个用陈述句的形式表达的疑问句,详见第23条注释。

all alone独自一个人

42. Oh, I don''t mind. 哦,我到不在乎(一个人独自去)。

I don''t mind: I don''t mind going there all alone.

43. Look, Muriel,why don''t we all go together? I mean…well, of course, Randy and I are invited, too, but we''d be glad to go long with you…as your family, you know. Well, after all, you''re one of us, Muriel.

我说缪里尔,我们干嘛不一起去呢?我是说……,我和兰蒂当然也接到了请贴,不过我们也很高兴和你一起去……作为你的家人。呃,缪里尔,毕竟你也算是我们家里的人。 (注意,他们宁愿以女佣的家人身份去参加,也要露这个面,所以说话时吞吞吐吐,不好意思。)

1)Why don''t we do……? /why not do…用来提出建议,又如:

Why not ask our teacher for help?为什么不请我们的老师来帮忙呢?

Why don''t we all come to my office and talk at length about the matter?

咱们还是都到我的办公室好好谈谈这个问题吧!

I''m tired. Why don''t we trim the Christmas tree tomorrow?

我累了。我们明天再装饰圣诞树吧!

2)go along with sb. as……:以……的身份和……一起去……

He went along with the city residents as a common citizen to give his vote.他以一个普通公民的身份和市民们参加了这次投票。

3)这里after all用来导出一引起理由,解释刚刚说过的话,又如:

Why don''t we ask Xiao Liu to take the matter to the president? After all,

she''s worked with him for two years.

请小刘去和校长谈这件事吧,她毕竟已和校长共事过两年。

44. Appears to examine the idea.看起来好像在考虑这个建议。

He appears very excited. 他看起来好像很兴奋。

45. I''ll drive us all there in the Cadillac. 我开卡迪拉克把咱们三个一起拉去。

Cadillac:卡迪拉克牌轿车(美国生产的名牌豪华轿车)。兰蒂和卡罗可能不止一辆轿车,名牌的和一般的,不同场合用不同的轿车。

46. This idea appeals to her.——(She likes the idea.) 这个主意投合她之所好。

appeal to: to please, attract or interest对……有吸引力;投其所好,又如:

Dancing has never appealed to me.

我对跳舞从来就没有兴趣。

Such forms of entertainment as disco and karaoke appeal only to young people.

像迪斯科和卡拉OK这种形式的娱乐只对年轻人有吸引力。

It is almost impossible to make a TV program appeal to viewers of all ages.

要使一个电视节目同时吸引不同的年龄的观众几乎是不可能的。

appeal to sb for/to do sth.为……呼吁;要求

The public appeals to the government to take measures to protect the environment .公众呼吁政府应当采取措施来保护环境。

appeal to上诉

Both the plaintiff and the defendant have the right to appeal to the higher court.原告和被告都有权向上级法院上诉。

47. Well, it suits me.哦,这倒对我挺合适的。

suit sb.: be convenient for/acceptable to sb.对……合适;能被……接受,又如:

It''ll suit me very well if e set off at 8 in the morning.

早上8点出发对我挺合适的。

This arrangement suits us perfectly.

这一安排对我来说太合适了。

48. Carole and Randy both jump into action, getting their clothes out of their respective closets.卡罗和兰蒂赶紧行动起来,从他们各自的衣橱里拿出衣服。

jump into action:赶紧行动。注意jump在下列两个短语中的意思:

jump to one''s feet一下子跳起来(原来坐着或躺着)

jump to a conclusion轻率下结论

49. Say, this suit could stand a pressing.喂,这身西服压一压才好。

1)Say ,(int.): (美)喂;哎呀。用来引起别人的注意,有时也表示惊讶。

2)stand vt.: 经受,遭受,经得起,又如:

Their friendship has stood the test of time.

他们的友谊经受了时间的考验。

A number of old people could not stand the severe cold, and returned to the south.

一部分老人受不了严寒而回到南方。

50. It''s going to look all right, isn''t it? I mean , our going with Muriel.——(You think it''ll look okay if we''re going to the funeral as Muriel''s family, don''t you?) 这么做合适吗?我是说我们和缪里尔一起去不失身份吧。 (兰蒂突然又感到,以自己女佣家人身份去参加这样的活动,是否有失身份。)

I mean: (见注30——2)(spoken) used to explain or correct what you have just said

He''s impolite-I mean, he never greets his colleagues.

他真没礼貌,我是说,他从不和同事打招呼。

We''ll have an exam on Tuesday, I mean, Thursday.

我们星期二考试,不对,是星期四。

51. ……we have a duty to Muriel, our cook.

……We have to look after Muriel, our cook. (We''ve got to bring her back home from the house.)

have a duty to do: to have to do sth. because it is morally or legally right

We have a duty to our aged parents.

对年迈的父母我们应该尽自己的职责。

We all have a duty to protect the environment.

我们都有责任保护环境。

52.Scotty practically raised her. And we feel that we should take her with us, and then, of course, we''ll have to go to the home afterwards. Just family and a few of his very closest friends. We can''t get out of it…

可以说是斯格蒂把她养大的。我们感到我们应该让她跟我们一起去,自然随后我们就去他家里,是家里的人和他最亲近的朋友聚一下。这件事我们是推卸不了的……(注意卡罗的口气与她和缪里尔谈此事的口气完全不一样。对缪里尔说她和兰蒂以她的家人身份出席葬礼,此刻她却说是她和兰蒂带缪里尔去。明明是她死皮赖脸地要和缪里尔一起去,现在却说带缪里尔是他们不可推卸的责任。)

get out of (doing) sth.: avoid a responsibility or duty推卸责任,又如:

The couple decided to spend the weekend in a hotel, just to get out of housework.

这对夫妇决定去旅馆过周末,为的是摆脱一下家务。

If you go on trying to get out of paying taxes, you''ll sooner or later get into trouble.

你要是继续想方设法逃税,你早晚会受到惩罚的。

53. (To himself, while dressing.) I guess it''ll look all right. After all, funerals are very democratic affairs.(边穿衣服边自言自语)我觉得这件事没有什么不妥之处,葬礼毕竟是件不注重阶级区别的社交活动。 (兰蒂始终感到以佣人家属的身份去参加引人注目的葬礼有占领失身份,他最后自嘲地找到了一个理由。)

1)After all(见注25——1,注43——3)

2)democratic: paying no or little attention to class divisions based on birth or wealth不注重或几乎不注重因出身和财产多少而产生的阶级差别。

 
 
 
免责声明:本文为网络用户发布,其观点仅代表作者个人观点,与本站无关,本站仅提供信息存储服务。文中陈述内容未经本站证实,其真实性、完整性、及时性本站不作任何保证或承诺,请读者仅作参考,并请自行核实相关内容。
2023年上半年GDP全球前十五强
 百态   2023-10-24
美众议院议长启动对拜登的弹劾调查
 百态   2023-09-13
上海、济南、武汉等多地出现不明坠落物
 探索   2023-09-06
印度或要将国名改为“巴拉特”
 百态   2023-09-06
男子为女友送行,买票不登机被捕
 百态   2023-08-20
手机地震预警功能怎么开?
 干货   2023-08-06
女子4年卖2套房花700多万做美容:不但没变美脸,面部还出现变形
 百态   2023-08-04
住户一楼被水淹 还冲来8头猪
 百态   2023-07-31
女子体内爬出大量瓜子状活虫
 百态   2023-07-25
地球连续35年收到神秘规律性信号,网友:不要回答!
 探索   2023-07-21
全球镓价格本周大涨27%
 探索   2023-07-09
钱都流向了那些不缺钱的人,苦都留给了能吃苦的人
 探索   2023-07-02
倩女手游刀客魅者强控制(强混乱强眩晕强睡眠)和对应控制抗性的关系
 百态   2020-08-20
美国5月9日最新疫情:美国确诊人数突破131万
 百态   2020-05-09
荷兰政府宣布将集体辞职
 干货   2020-04-30
倩女幽魂手游师徒任务情义春秋猜成语答案逍遥观:鹏程万里
 干货   2019-11-12
倩女幽魂手游师徒任务情义春秋猜成语答案神机营:射石饮羽
 干货   2019-11-12
倩女幽魂手游师徒任务情义春秋猜成语答案昆仑山:拔刀相助
 干货   2019-11-12
倩女幽魂手游师徒任务情义春秋猜成语答案天工阁:鬼斧神工
 干货   2019-11-12
倩女幽魂手游师徒任务情义春秋猜成语答案丝路古道:单枪匹马
 干货   2019-11-12
倩女幽魂手游师徒任务情义春秋猜成语答案镇郊荒野:与虎谋皮
 干货   2019-11-12
倩女幽魂手游师徒任务情义春秋猜成语答案镇郊荒野:李代桃僵
 干货   2019-11-12
倩女幽魂手游师徒任务情义春秋猜成语答案镇郊荒野:指鹿为马
 干货   2019-11-12
倩女幽魂手游师徒任务情义春秋猜成语答案金陵:小鸟依人
 干货   2019-11-12
倩女幽魂手游师徒任务情义春秋猜成语答案金陵:千金买邻
 干货   2019-11-12
 
推荐阅读
 
 
 
>>返回首頁<<
 
靜靜地坐在廢墟上,四周的荒凉一望無際,忽然覺得,淒涼也很美
© 2005- 王朝網路 版權所有